DIY… Selling For Sale By Owner (FSBO)…Sounds great, doesn’t it? Looks easy, doesn’t it? We’ve seen enough of the home shows on TV…anyone can do it. Then we believe that we can save a bunch of money by not paying that real estate commission, right? We’ve heard it before… “If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.” So, before you step over a dollar to save a dime, let’s consider the statistics before deciding to do it on your own:
- Only 2% of home sales are done without a real estate agent; which means as a FSBO you’re missing out on 98% of potential buyers. Exposure is key … do you want as many qualified buyers as possible to see your home? YES! Most Buyers use a real estate agent (98%). Why? For many reasons…it doesn’t cost them anything, they get more access to available properties, and they get an expert to assist them in navigating through the whole buying process.
- Investor buyers LOVE FSBO’s … why? Because they think they can negotiate the price down.
- The most difficult tasks for DIY Sellers: Pricing the property correctly. Understanding the legalities of all the paperwork. Selling within of time they want to sell. Knowing how to stage and prepare the home for sale. Having enough time to devote to all aspects of the sale. Having the means to maximize exposure of the home via multiple marketing platforms. Negotiating the best possible price…it’s difficult being objective on your own home.
- Most non-real estate people sell 1-3 homes in a lifetime, a professional agent, like myself, will sell hundreds of homes and it’s my job to know the market, the contracts and addendums, and be strong in the negotiating process on my sellers’ behalf.
- As an agent, I will put more money in your pocket! 2016 stats show that the typical FSBO home sold for $190,000 compared to $249,000 for agent- assisted home sales…WOW! That’s a 24% difference! Do you really want to do all the work AND make less money on the sale?
Other things to consider: how to qualify the strangers you let into your home, safety…who will be there with you when you let them in, not losing that buyer… will you be available when the buyer wants to see the home? Important question to ask yourself… would you do your own dental work or perform heart surgery on yourself? Selling our home is the same! Wouldn’t it be better to hire an expert who will protect you, do it right and save you money? Before you decide to DIY it… call me, Gail Pelto 850.374.0454 or send me an email: firstname.lastname@example.org